If you live in a bedsitter in Kenya also known as a studio apartment, you know that space is often at a premium. A bedsitter is a small self-contained unit that typically includes a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. With limited space, it can be a challenge to make the most of your living situation. However, with a little creativity and some strategic planning, it is possible to create a comfortable and functional space.
Here are some tips for using limited space in a bedsitter:
- Utilize vertical space with wall shelves and hanging organizers. One of the keys to making the most of a small space is to utilize vertical space. Install wall shelves or hang organizers to keep items off the floor and free up space.
- Use under-bed storage bins or drawers. Under-bed storage is a great way to make the most of a small space, as it allows you to utilize the space under the bed for storage.
- Utilize wall-mounted or folding desks and tables. If you don’t have room for a traditional desk or table, consider using a wall-mounted or folding option. These can be easily tucked away when not in use.
- Consider using a loft bed. A loft bed can be a great option for a small space, as it frees up floor space by elevating the bed off the ground. This allows you to use the space under the bed for storage or as a workspace.
Ideas for using colour
When it comes to decorating a small space like a bedsitter, color can be a powerful tool for creating the illusion of a larger space and adding personality to your living environment. Here are some ideas for using color in a small space like a bedsitter:
- Use light colors on the walls. Light colors like white, beige, or pale blue can help create the illusion of a larger space by reflecting light and making the walls appear to recede.
- Add pops of color with decorative pillows, rugs, and artwork. If you are hesitant to commit to a bold wall color, you can add pops of color with throw pillows, a colorful rug, or artwork.
- Use mirrors to reflect light and create the appearance of a bigger space. Mirrors are a great tool for making a small space feel bigger, as they reflect light and create the appearance of more space.
- Use color to create separate areas within the space. If you have a bedsitter with an open floor plan, you can use color to create separate areas for sleeping, living, and dining. For example, you might paint the wall behind the bed a different color than the rest of the walls, or use a colorful rug to define the living area.
- Consider the mood you want to create. Different colors can evoke different moods, so consider the mood you want to create in your bedsitter when selecting colors. For a calming and relaxing atmosphere, you might choose soft, pale colors like pale blue or green. For a more energetic and vibrant atmosphere, you might opt for bold, bright colors like red or yellow.
When it comes to furnishing a small space like a bedsitter, it is important to choose furniture that is both functional and space-saving. Here are some tips for choosing furniture for a small space like a bedsitter:
- Opt for smaller furniture pieces. Rather than choosing large, bulky furniture, look for smaller pieces that are proportionate to the size of the space.
- Choose furniture with built-in storage. Look for pieces with built-in storage, such as ottomans or coffee tables with drawers, to help maximize the storage potential of your bedsitter.
- Consider using folding or stackable chairs. Folding or stackable chairs can be a great option for a small space, as they can be easily stored when not in use.
- Invest in multi-purpose furniture. Choose furniture that can serve more than one purpose, such as a futon or daybed that can be used for seating and sleeping.
- Look for furniture with slender legs. Furniture with slender legs helps to create the illusion of more space, as it allows you to see more of the floor.
- Choose furniture that can be easily moved. In a small space like a bedsitter, it is important to have the ability to rearrange furniture to make the most of the available space. Look for furniture that is lightweight and easy to move.
Other ideas for maximizing your bedsitter
Here are some other ideas for maximizing your bedsitter:
- Use a screen or room divider to create separate areas within the space. If you have an open floor plan, a screen or room divider can be a great way to create separate areas for sleeping, living, and dining.
- Utilize over-the-door organizers for extra storage. Over-the-door organizers are a great way to add extra storage to a small space like a bedsitter. You can use them to store items like shoes, bags, and cleaning supplies.
- Use curtains or blinds to add privacy and create a cozier atmosphere. Curtains or blinds can help to add privacy to a bedsitter, as well as create a cozier atmosphere by blocking out light and noise.
- Keep clutter to a minimum by regularly decluttering and organizing. One of the keys to making the most of a small space is to keep clutter to a minimum. Make it a habit to regularly declutter and organize your bedsitter to keep it looking neat and tidy.
Making the most of a small bedsitter in Kenya requires creativity, strategic planning, and a focus on utilizing space wisely. By following these tips and ideas, you can create a comfortable and functional living space that meets all of your needs.