Last updated on November 4th, 2022 at 11:10 am
When it comes to adventure bikes you will often be spoilt for choice with the big CC boys like the Honda Africa Twin, BMW GS and KTM’s own 1290 Adventure R. However, if you are looking for something a little different then the 690 Enduro might just be the machine for you.
Weighing in at just 169kg dry, the 690 is one of the lightest bikes in its class and this makes it extremely nimble both on and off the road. It is powered by a 690cc single-cylinder engine which produces a healthy 73bhp and 72Nm of torque. This may not sound like a lot but when you consider the bike’s weight, it is more than enough to get you moving.
If you are planning to go around the world then the 690 Enduro is more than capable of taking you there. It comes with a 21-inch front wheel and an 18-inch rear which gives you plenty of options when it comes to tyres. It also has a fuel tank capacity of 23 litres which will give you a range of over 400km.
One of the best features of the 690 Enduro is its WP suspension. This provides you with 200mm of travel at the front and 185mm at the rear, meaning that you can take on any terrain that you come across.
The only downside of the 690 Enduro is that it is not riding for long hours on the highways as its seat isn’t the most comfortable. But overall, it is an incredible bike that is more than capable of taking you on any adventure that you can dream of.
The KTM 690 also lacks a windscreen which might give some riders pause for thought before taking it on a long journey especially if you will be riding on the motorway for long periods of time.
Modifications To The KTM 690 That Would Make It Suitable For Long Distance Adventures
1. A more comfortable seat – This is a must for any long distance rider. You can find aftermarket seats which are much more comfortable than the standard seat.
2. A windscreen – As mentioned above, the 690 does not come with a windscreen as standard. This can be a problem when riding on the motorway for long periods of time. There are aftermarket windscreens available which will help to reduce wind noise and make your ride more comfortable.
3. luggage rack – If you are planning on doing some serious adventuring then you are going to need somewhere to store all your gear. A luggage rack will give you the perfect place to strap down your bags and keep everything secure.
4. Engine guards – These are not essential but they can offer some protection to the engine in the event of a crash. They are also useful for keeping branches and other debris from getting caught in the engine.
5. A GPS unit – This is not essential but it can be a useful tool to have when out on the open road. A GPS unit will allow you to track your progress and plan your route more effectively.
6. tyre pressure monitoring system – This is a great piece of kit to have if you are planning on doing any off-road riding. A tyre pressure monitoring system will help you to keep an eye on your tyre pressures and make sure that they are always at the correct level.
7. engine protection bars – These are another optional extra but they can offer some protection to the engine in the event of a crash.
8. tank bag – A tank bag is a great way to carry all your essential items with you on your journey. They are available in a variety of sizes and designs to suit your needs.
9. touring screen – A touring screen is a larger version of the standard windscreen. It will offer better protection from the wind and make your ride more comfortable.
10. panniers – Panniers are a great way to increase the amount of storage space on your bike. They are available in a variety of sizes and designs to suit your needs.
These are just a few ideas of modifications that you could make to the KTM 690 Enduro to make it more suitable for long distance adventures. With a few simple additions, you can turn this already great bike into the perfect adventure machine.
Do you think the KTM 690 Enduro is the perfect adventure bike? Let us know in the comments below