The above video, is a comparison of four premium family SUVs: the new Mercedes GLC, the BMW X3, the Audi Q5, and the Volvo XC60. We will discuss their prices, design, interior, practicality, performance, and driving experience to determine the best option.
- Audi Q5: The least expensive option, with a starting price of approximately £60,000.
- Mercedes GLC: Starting price similar to the Audi Q5.
- BMW X3: Price range comparable to the Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLC.
- Volvo XC60: Slightly more affordable, starting at around £55,000.
- Audi Q5: Smart and classy design, with some shiny accents. However, criticized for its fake exhaust pipes.
- Mercedes GLC: Overall impressive design, with a sleek rear, stylish side profile, and attractive alloy wheels. Fake exhaust pipes are a letdown.
- BMW X3: Showy design that some may find overdone. Real exhaust pipes add a touch of authenticity.
- Volvo XC60: Classy and well-proportioned design, similar to the larger XC90. Chrome accents enhance the premium look.
- Mercedes GLC: Features a cool and interesting interior design, with a large central infotainment screen and digital driver’s display. Some plastic parts and touch-sensitive buttons on the steering wheel are slight drawbacks.
- Audi Q5: Despite being the oldest car in this comparison, it still feels modern. Minimalist design with a touchscreen interface. Crystal gear selector stands out.
- BMW X3: Modern interior design, easy-to-use functions, and a separate control wheel for the infotainment system. Offers gesture control. Steering wheel is favored, but lacks a swivel wheel.
- Volvo XC60: Although it feels slightly dated compared to the others, the minimalist design is still appealing. Controls are mainly touchscreen-based. Damping of switches feels expensive, and the seats are comfortable.
- Luggage Capacity:
- Audi Q5, Mercedes GLC, and BMW X3: 550 liters (slightly reduced for plug-in hybrid versions).
- Volvo XC60: Smallest capacity at 483 liters (468 liters for the plug-in hybrid version).
- Child Seat Fitting: All cars provide convenient access to ISOFIX anchor points, with minor difficulties in the Volvo and Mercedes due to seat design or limited door opening width.
- Audi Q5: 299 horsepower, not 60 mph in 6.1 seconds.
- Mercedes GLC: 320 horsepower, not 60 mph in 6.26 seconds.
- BMW X3: 292 horsepower, not 60 mph in 6.35 seconds.
- Volvo XC60: 455 horsepower, not 60 mph in 4.79 seconds.
Driving Experience Comparison:
- Audi Q5: Composed suspension, comfortable, and handles well. Good sound insulation and efficient electric range.
- Mercedes GLC: Comfortable and sporty with good grip and performance. Electric-only range of 48 miles.
- BMW X3: Sporty and capable, though slightly bouncy with adaptive dampers. Average sound insulation and electric range of 39 miles.
- Volvo XC60: Secure and comfortable drive with good performance. Best electric-only range of 80 miles.
Fuel Efficiency Comparison:
- Mercedes GLC: Claimed economy of over 560 miles per gallon, but achieving around 37.2 miles per gallon.
- Audi Q5: Average economy of 32.3 miles per gallon.
- BMW X3: Achieving 26.4 miles per gallon.
- Volvo XC60: Average economy of 31.2 miles per gallon.
Conclusion: After careful comparison, the Mercedes GLC emerges as the winner due to its modern design, impressive electric-only range, and overall driving experience. The Audi Q5 takes second place, followed by the BMW X3 in third and the Volvo XC60 in fourth. However, each SUV has its own strengths and may suit different preferences and requirements.